bobmn, I do like levers and have 45/70's in a SS and a blued model, both with the barrels cut to 20". I have packed the blued model a few miles, the stainless not so much. Both have ghost ring type sights. And several years ago, when the eyes were younger; I was pretty fond of packing them around when hiking.

But, I none-the-less feel more confident in the bolt. One reason is obviously familiarity. And the other is function due to the collection of vegetation debris finding its way into every possible place when pushing through brush. I have found no matter how much effort I put into protecting the actions from debris, it still finds its way to places it should not be. Alder/willow/spruce, leave/twig/bud bits, bark; fern pieces, grass seeds, etc/etc tend to wind up inside and in between areas of moving parts.

To me the bolt is easier to clean of debris. The water issue is about guaranteed daily during moose season; and is to be expected any day/anytime. I keep the barrel taped, remove the bolt and ammo, wipe down for the night and expect the same each day.

I have detachable mounts on pretty much all my rifles, even the slick barreled ones. But, have never removed a scope when hunting. I much prefer a low powered/wide field of view/ bold reticle scope to sights. Anything .338 and above, have either 1.1-4's, 1-6's, or 1.5-6's and I am comfortable with them in close cover.

I consider bear encounters every time I am outdoors. Likely not to happen nor end in an unfavorable way, but is a possible. I usually hunt/camp alone, so I try not to be paranoid but do give serious consideration. The differing of circumstances, skills, and opinions, as to the ability multiple shots and/or even an accurate single shot in a surprise close range and hostile encounter; I will leave to others to debate.

Originally Posted by bobmn
ID: Look at the NECG receiver sight for Ruger 77 if you want to remove the scope for bear protection. Existing front sight is tall enough. A lot easier to dry out a bolt compared to a lever but lever is faster for multiple shots.

Last edited by ldmay375; 08/13/14.