I bought my first 22mag in 1961, a Winchester model 61 new in the bow for $64.95. I was young then and my only other long gun was a Browning Auto Five in 12ga 3" mag. That Win. 22mag was my main meat gun. Back then a 22 was legal for deer and I killed 7 bucks 7 years in a row with 40gr Super X HP. All were taken with lung shots, the longest was 130yd's. They usually traveled less than 100yd's before going down. In the winter my little beagle and I hunted rabbits every day after work using FMJ bullets to save meat. The rifle was topped with a Weaver 2.5 with a post recital. One time when hunting with my father in law and brother in law, a rooster pheasant went up in front of us when we were crossing a field. I shot him out of the air with the 22mag, my father in law bragged about that shot for years after.

When they outlawed deer hunting with a 22 I sold my model 61. I later bought a 22 mag in a Winchester Model 94 but I missed my old model 61. About 7 or 8 years ago I found another 61 in 22mag at a gun show and bought it. It cost a lot more than that first one in 1961 but since I got it it has doubled in value but I'm hanging onto this one. It has accounted for one coyote a bunch of woodchucks on the farm.

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"