Steve ol buddy. I'm not a Winchester expert, but from the little research I did in the mighty Rules book, this is what I've concluded:

All national match rifles had clip slots: Page 181

As Rule states, "Special Action Note, Clip-Slotting. All National matches were slotted for loading with a clip, regardless of the era or production period".

If your rifle was truly made in 1946, it will have the Marksman stock #2 or #3, depending on how late in '46 it was built. It will have the upside down "T" on the trigger, as all the target rifles had this.

It will have a full floating 24" std wt barrel, chambered in 30-06. There was, however, the option of the 308 win from 1953-1955 (According to Rule).

The 1946 is considered a "pre war" or type 1. Even though it was produced after the war, which can be misleading, which should have a clover leaf tang, type 1 wing safety, solid bolt knob, and no holes drilled in the rear bridge.

A 1946 National Match rifle would be furnished with a Lyman 77 front sight, which was a detachable type.

The rear sight was a Lyman 48WH and the stock was more than likely inletted for this sight.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA