Thanks my friend, I had come to same conclusion after reading half Mr Rules book for the humpteenth time. I had a very clear understanding with the guns owner that it would be gone over by my FFL ,gunsmith before I even drove the 45 miles to pick it up and we had a 3 day inspection. I hate it as the gun is fantastic other than the fact there is no clip slot! The gun is absolutely fantastic save that fact BUT the stock is not cut for irons, it has nice color case hard target scope blocks and all the handguard hardware. I do know for a fact the barrel and stock are NM. It is a dog dam shame the action is not right! Nice ow SN as well 62223 which places action late Sept 46, I'm curious as to barrel date. I am still going to try and help the fellow out and buy the gun but I will not pay NM price. I hate it when folks think they have something that turns out not be be Kosher!!!! I have a nice sporter stock for the gun, wood and a Mac and if the NM barrel is as nice and as good a shooter as the last one I shot I will make another whitetail bean patch hammer out of her. I would love to know the true history on this bad boy, an honest NM barrel, stock(that is rare as hens teeth) and trigger assy...with a proper date action with no clip slot!!!! go figure???? That is what makes collecting ,shooting,hunting, researching and trading these 70's so darn much fun,interesting!!!!! very best guys WinchesterPoor