I would agree to a very limited extent Peter. For the average person, especially someone who will just post and share with friends, JPEG can be done similarly but with no where near the detail from a RAW saved as a JPEG. If someone is going to make a print, especially anything larger then 11x14, working off of a RAW and saving as a TIFF is the way to go. Opening a JPEG as a pseudo RAW file in Photoshop in order to save it as a TIFF is pretty different. With the price of a hard drive I would still shoot in RAW even if you do a JPEG copy or simple auto conversion to save as a JPEG. One day someone may decide to get more involved in photography and wish they had the ability to do more with an image than they could with the JPEG.
But again, I do agree, for the most part a simple JPEG can be great quality with the processing done in camera. I prefer to have the control as to how the photo turns out though in the end.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.