Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Where do shots 4 through 10 go?

Very sensible approach Bob.
Too much emphasis on single groups, which is unfortunately "the usual" for range assessment and inadequate to determine a root cause.

AGW: Exactly.

I don't shoot a lot of 10 shot groups at 100 yards,because I get restless and anxious to get it to longer distance; but when a rifle is new I will grind it out to see whether those shots that are "out" are part of the rifles normal grouping.More rounds will tell us that.

Also,100 yard groups "lie" a lot and I recall one rifle that shot tight 100 yard groups for 3 shots, but there was a gremlin....one shot was always on the low side,yet the group was tight.Shooting at 400 yards showed that shot to be WAY low and well out of the group; vertical was not consistent and the rifle was double grouping.It was the load.

RCamuglia's Audette Ladder might have showed this and that's another way to find this stuff out. I was doing that but in a different way.

Either way when a rifle and load is new, and behaving oddly, I increase number of shots to find out what gives....and the quicker I get off the bags at 100 yards the better off I am and the faster I figure out what's happening.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/22/14.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.