50 yards is my self imposed Max Limit. Personally, I think it is my responsability as a hunter & sportsman to do my best to make a killing shot or no shot at all.
The LAST thing I want to do is wound and lose such a magnificent animal as an Elk! And if I go home empty handed, we'll then that's just part of the Hunt.

Lots of guys out there today that think that the newest, fastest, latest, Bow enables them to shoot an Elk at Any Range! And with all the variables involved on taking an elk, there are only a few guys who are truly qualified to make that shot in a perfect situation.
Hell, I can hit a hay bail 5 out of 6 times with my Matthews Compound Bow, at 75 yards, but that doesn't mean I can make a killing shot on an Elk at that distance!
There are just too many variables involved with the shooter, weather, wind, animal alertness, equipment, arrow flight, ect that can turn a long range archery shot into a disaster.

I don't know your hunting buddy from Adam, but it sounds to me like he is the type of "shooter" that gives the rest of us Hunters a really bad rap. Not to mention that his hunt should have legally been over after he wounded the first Elk on his hunt. To me, it was unethical, and very disrespectful to the Elk & other Hunters.

I know that animals get wounded and get away sometimes, even when you do everything right, and that's just part of Bow Hunting.
But a real hunter has a Responsability to the animal & other hunters to make sure he is only taking a good shot within his skill set levels, and not just slinging arrows because you can!
JMO, but I think most here on the Fire would agree!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/15/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~