Shot target archery competition for years. Wasn't great, but, wasn't too far off from the top amateurs. Had a carefully tuned target bow , trained with coach and shot 300 arrows aweek minimum.At 80 yards ( maximum field and hunter range) I could hit a four inch five ring most of the time under low wind conditions with my target bow. In a ten mph crosswind it dropped to less than 50%. This is with a carbon arrow with short fletching and a heavy glue in precision target tips. The whole concept was to maintain velocity and cut the wind better. In higher winds it got worse fast. No hunting arrow, even with tiny mechanical heads, shoots as well as a target arrow period.

Your friends were totally unethical to take such shots. It would take serious consideration and change on their part before you should hunt with them.

My personnel max range at my best was 50 yards. Everything had to be in my favor to take a max range . I have only taken 2 deer and one hog at more than 40 yards. The hog was previously hit and pigs don't duck arrows any way. Perfect conditions for a long shot don't occur very often.