I was at a local estate auction today that had all kind of stuff. They had a few items consigned. I mainly went to bid on a truck but they had a few guns that I thought I might take some particular interest in. The auction was a no tax or buyers premium kind if auction. Anyways just want to go on a rant about why people bid so much on guns an an estate auction or any auction period. This auction was in a smaller town also not a huge city or anything.
The one gun which I had some interest in was a rem 700 lss. Laminated stainless steel in 300 mag. It was a very beautiful gun. It was the old style I believe. It sold for $650 to the guy who owned it. Apparently the auctioneers allowed people to bid on their own guns, which I think is pretty sad and wrong to do to a person. I honestly would have got the gun for $500 probably. It has a Simmons whitetail scope which isn't nothing special. After the bidding ended on the gun he came over to me and ask if I would give $675 and it sold for $650. He said it was his gun and he was wanting 700 out of it but then told me he would take 650. This pissed me off pretty badly especially to know that the guy that owned the gun was running up the bid on me . Anyways I think he had to pay the auctioneer 10% I believe or maybe he didn't have to he could have been buddies with him I don't know. But after this I was pretty much so pissed that I was ready to leave.

Here are some of the price on the other guns that I remmeber that I have no idea why people were bidding so much. I don't know if they know what they are worth or what.

Rem 742 30-06. $650
Mossberg 715t 22 $450 ($229 at Walmart) not to mention I've had mine for sale for a month at the local flea market for $225)
Mossberg 835 with some turkey shells like 9 boxes they were like $15-20 at walmart. And had a leupold shot gun scope worth about $150 used on it. Package sold for $675

Stevens crackshot 22 $525