Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by MILES58
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Really?? Look at any map recording the history of Ebola outbreaks of any demographic significance. There are clear north and south borders suggested, paralleling specific latitudinal lines, centering in the middle tropics of the African continent, and this over many decades. I'd classify that as constituting at least some basis for concluding that its nature it that of a tropical disease.

You probably would classify it that way because you just haven't got the intellectual wherewithal to understand these are both diseases of humans, and that all humans are susceptible and they are not confined anywhere on the planet. You cannot have it both ways, either the disease presents a danger here or it does not.
Perhaps you'd like to explain how my statements thus far indicate to you a belief on my part that humans outside the tropics aren't susceptible to contracting Ebola. Humans being susceptible to contracting Ebola outside of its normal range, and its propensity for significant outbreak outside its normal range, aren't necessarily identical with one another.

Obviously you do not begin to understand the stuff you say. When you get that part in hand, come back and talk to me.

"I'd classify that as constituting at least some basis for concluding that its nature it that of a tropical disease."

Ebola is a disease that is all but exclusively a human to human transmission disease. Presumably, there is an index case caused by transmission from it's endemic host to a human and thereafter 100% of the transmission is presumed to be human to human. That means the percentage of people ever infected by whatever the host species is is in reality vanishingly small. THAT means considering it in any way a tropical disease is not just wrong, but so stupid as to be dangerous.

There is of course the possibility that humans are the host species since we have not definitively identified the host and the method of infection of the index case. Based on our knowledge thus far, we cannot absolutely rule out that it is latent in some people. Very unlikely, but we flat out do not know at this time.