I've heard before. It won't work. Then it did somehow. But the computer said it wouldn't??? Why do you suppose???

The computer program says it won't work. It seems that people (maybe not you Steelhead) believe the computer no matter what. Computers and programs are a good thing, but when someone writes a program, the quality of what comes out depends on the quality of the program and the assumptions of the programmer or user. I'd use the programs as a guide. I'd rather be at the range testing loads. The programs are based on physics but I believe that a constant that is used came from someone's observation. Finally, there are variables that the programmer may not have thought of.

As I recall shooting the expermenting with that 244 was at about 3300 feet elevation (Sturgis SD). That was about 35-40 years ago when there wasn't near as many fine bullets on the market and I eventually sold that rifle to pay for something. But it shot some appropriate bullets that were as good as or better than factory loads from 243's that people used. People said the 244 wouldn't work, but it could and it still can.

Now, I'm tempted to rebarrel a 6mm to the 14" twist and do some experimenting. I mainly use my 6mm's for varmints anyhow. One of them could have a 14" twist barrel. That might take a year or so...

Maybe a writer (I enjoy his articles) could beat me to the punch. Besides I have three rifles that I recently bought that I have not put on paper yet. (7mm Mag, 204 Ruger and a 35 Remington) and then there's deer, muzzle loader, and antelope season, no elk tag this year.

I believe results on paper (target paper that is).

When people tell me that I can't, I gotta try and sometimes I do - it's a character flaw which really pissed off my dad when I was a kid.
;-)

Oh yeh, I was wrong about the 80 Grain Nosler partition. I couldn't find it when I did a google search.

Last edited by Bugger; 09/23/14.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally