Originally Posted by badger
Trying to find a good reason for buying the cheap Walmart synthetic and changing it twice as often. Enlighten me here. crazy

Two reasons: (actually four)
1. The typical oil change interval is based on "typical driving" where "Severe duty usage" accelerates the oil change intervals. Trailering and running dirt roads puts you into severe duty category typically. Cheaper insurance to change it more often with a lower cost same API grade oil.

2. My truck doesn't get driven much so the seasonal changes drive lower intervals...
An example is to change after hunting season when my dirt road driving drops off and I don't want to change it later in frozen December in my unheated garage. I change at the end of winter to get rid of the short drive/cold engine water emulsion the oil holds before I start trailering again in the spring.

3. Fresh oil will always have a higher TBN and obviously less acid to sit there and etch your bearings. Getting rid of carbon emulsion is good to.

4. A person could try oil monitoring for TBN and wear metals if they were really concerned, but and oil change is cheaper than a test kit. I would have a different opinion if this was construction or heavy ag equipment or even an industrial air compressor.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?