Originally Posted by KDK
Kind of a left turn here, but I just took over maintenance duties for the GF's Expedition. When I looked at the last service sticker, I just about stroked out... over 10k miles overdue for an oil chance. So I stopped at NAPA and picked up a Gold oil filter, and filled it up with whatever Mobil 1 calls it's high mileage formula. Apparently, it was also at least three quarts low (of a ~6 quart capacity) and freakin' nasty black. Ouch! Question: Do I just leave the oil and filter on for a normal interval, or do I want to shorten up the first change interval?

Typical Chick vehicle...

I think oil is good enough these days, that it has become more important to pay attention to the filters... I've been using Purolators from Wally World, the past 3 or 4 years and cut down my filter change time from 5K to 3.3 K....( 3 times every 10K, vs 2 times every 10K)...

I have noticed a major difference on how much longer the oil stays cleaner looking.. I run Mobil ONE, for 20 to 25K in my family vehicles depending on which one and who normally drives it as my wife's and son's habits are different that mine... I put the most miles on my vehicles and my wife is mainly short distances around town...

Mobil ONE holds up real well under either extremes...

My two personal vehicles ( that I drive) have 333K on the 94 Camry and 532K on the 88 4Runner..so evidently the stuff and 20 to 25K oil changes on them, seem to work out just fine...

here is what the head looked like at 330K on my 94 Camry 4 cylinder....3000 miles ago...

[Linked Image]

I don't think that looks too bad for 330K and 20 to 25,000 mile oil changes with Mobil One...( although the last 20 K change was with Mobil 15W 40... )