You know, I have never really liked the 40 S&W. I've never found one that was particularly accurate, but admittedly I have fired it mostly in Glocks and the occasional Smith and Wesson. For it's intended purpose though, it works well.

Speaking of the 9mm, I remember an article by Duane Thomas, probably 20 plus years ago, where he proclaimed the 9mm the finest semi-automatic handgun cartridge ever. I scoffed, but the older I get, the more appreciation I have for the cartridge. I definitely believe that advances in powder and bullet manufacturing have helped the 9mm.

After reading through everyone's responses this morning, I realize that I failed to articulate the question I had in mind.

To bring it to a finer point, I should have asked "What centerfire handgun cartridge do you enjoy shooting the most?"

It is possible that the individual posters would have the same response, but maybe not.

If I had to pick between the 44 special and the 45 colt, I'd go with the Colt. But, if I can have both, you'll see me with the 44 special quite often. smile

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis