If the new Sakos are as good as the the pre-Beretta Sakos -I have no reason to think that they aren't- that's the way I'd go. But they're upwards of 2 grand. The most accurate rifle I have fired is a Sako, which is why I just ought another.

Cartridge will depend upon intended big game. The 7MM Rem Mag is the largest cartridge I go with. If you can't kill it with a 7MM Rem Mag, you ain't gonna kill it with a .300 Win Mag.

My recommendation after hunting all over the Rockies would be .280 Rem, then '06, then the 7MM Rem Mag. .270 Win.

I own a 7MM Rem Mag and a .270 Win. I have utmost respect for the '06. It is the greatest cartridge ever designed for all North American big game hunting in terms of efficacy. The .280 Rem is the best cartridge ever invented for all North American big game. The .300 Win mag is a big cartridge, but it won't kill any deader than the 7MM Rem Mag with the latter having edges in distance and penetration due to sectional densities of .284 caliber bullets. Shooting a .300 Win Mag from benches will make you wish you had bought a .280 Rem, which will kill big game just as dead.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***