Originally Posted by JMR40
The BDL was actually discontinued several years ago and brought back in limited numbers and loadings. If I had to have a Remington it would be the CDL.

A 9 lb rifle might not bother you, until you carry a 7 lb rifle. It is not a matter of what you CAN do, but what you CHOOSE to do. I CAN carry a 9-10 lb rifle, but after using some that weigh 6-7.5 lbs have no intention of going back.

Winchester or Kimber all the way for me. If Kimber I'd go short action and I don't think caliber matters all that much. Bullet choices will make more difference than caliber. If Winchester, not the Supergrade. Too heavy, I'd be looking at the Featherweight in any of the standard long or short action calibers.

Of the 3 choices you listed, 300 WSM. I have several rifles in 308 and 30-06. I don't really need a magnum round either, but ran across a killer deal on a SS Classic a few years ago in 300 WSM and have grown to respect the round. It has been a 4 year process, doing a little at a time, but it is finished. It weighs 7.5 lbs as it sets and I have $1050 invested in the rifle, optics and Edge stock.

[Linked Image]

I'm not selling my 30-06 rifles, and if I had a 300 WM I liked wouldn't sell it either, but if advising a new shooter today would tell them to forget 30-06 and 300 WM and just get the 300 WSM instead. You get 99% of a 300 WM's performance in a 308 size package with recoil almost exactly the same as hot 30-06 loads. Anyone who can tolerate 30-06 recoil will never notice the difference with 300 WSM,

Good post jmr. I love the rifle too. I'm like you and bought a 300 wsm about 3 years ago. I liked it so much that I bought another one. My current 300 wsm is an FN BACO (2008 Limited edition) and I really like that rifle. It's been a work in progress for me as well: Installed an extreme weather barrel on it, just put it in a Mcmillan swirly and it shoots like a dream..Hard to go wrong with a combination like that..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA