In 2007 I took a cow out of a string at about 40 yards. We had been watching them for the better part of an hour as they worked their way towards us. While I was prepared for a 500 yard shot as they passed below us in the short grass, they surprised us and came straight at us. I couldn't get a clear shot at one until after they passed by, finally taking one at about 40 yards. Here is what I wrote at the time:

"Assuming a classic kneeling position I followed the lone cow with the scope, keeping the crosshairs behind her right front leg and a little under halfway up. Just before she stepped into a draw I squeezed the trigger and she went straight down. I chambered another round and when she got back to her feet I took a second shot. This time she dropped straight down and out of sight. Both shots were well placed and I was sure I would soon be field dressing my second elk of the year."

"What I didn�t know at the time was that when the cow dropped the second time she had gone over the edge and slid to the bottom of a steep, 50-foot slope."

"I was sure the cow was dead so I gave Dave my rifle and asked him to take it to the truck and bring my pack on his way back. Although the hills were fairly clear of snow the slope the cow had gone down was shaded and still snow covered. The snow had helped the cow slide to the bottom where she ended up in a tangle of small tree limbs that made her look something like a bull. I followed her path to the bottom and received a nasty surprise as I approached her. Although both shots would have been fatal by themselves and the cow was expiring, she was still very much alive. I, of course, no longer had my rifle. After assessing the situation for a bit I drew my knife, threw one leg over her neck and proceeded to slit her throat, all the while thinking �so much for a quick, clean kill�. "

Lesson learned - keep a firearm handy at least until you know the animal is dead..

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.