Those NMLRA matches are really interesting and the Gibbs do win, against similar match legal rifles...Whitworths, Volunteers, Rigbys, Henrys, etc. It has little to do with how effective they are as hunting rifles. They're no better, or worse, than any "traditional" muzzleloader. The game is different though. Your "target" may show up at an undetermined range, probably not stay still for more than a few seconds at a time, and you don't get a couple sighter shots before firing for record. The ballistics of a 500gr bullet @ 1200fps in a rifle sighted for 100yds will hit almost 8 FEET low at 300. Compare that to any of the Swing Lock offerings or a smokeless .45 pushing a .40 200gr @ 2700fps, <20" drop @ 300, and the advantage is obvious. Throw on a scope with ballistic reticle and you give up nothing to any firearm in the woods during general rifle season.
Don't get me wrong. I like them all (and own most) but there's gotta be a line drawn somewhere in regards to special seasons.

Again, my 2 cents and there's plenty who don't share it.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn