Originally Posted by BarHunter
I'm not doubting you Cap. I'm a fan of offhand shooting myself, and have probably 80% of my kills over the 6 decades i've been hunting have been offhand.

What i'm curious about is what sort of sights were you using for those 175 yd offhand shots. I assume a 6 o'clock hold so the front sight doesn't cover up the whole target? If that was the case I assume you had the gun sighted in for 175 yds so you needed no holdover.

I'm just looking for the specifics of how you did it? It's a hell of a shot at 175 yds.

Well my sights are simple traditional fixed sights . Low flat fence with V notch in the back and matching medium blade with final , on the front ,.
My rifle is sighted in for 100 yards .
Its rather hard to explain. But rather simple to show someone .
I do use a 6:00 hold. But at long distances im not aiming at the target im wanting to hit .
This type off hand shooting also inst snap shooting though at the same time you don�t want to be standing up there all day or you will start conducting an orchestra with the muzzle .

I go through a routine where I point the rifle in the air well above the target . Settle the gun into my shoulder , set the triggers , then slowly begin to drop the muzzle as I exhale.
As the front sight drops through the target . I bring the muzzle slowly back up , judging elevation and checking my sight picture ..
IE im making sure that the target im aiming at , is aligned with the target im shooting at .
Depending on how that alignment sets , I may raise an drop and raise the front sight a couple times before I fire .

Thus you don�t actually have to see the target your going to hit . It can be completely covered by the sight . The ball will drop onto the target .
Now if you shooting for string . You want the aiming target to be as small as passable
Your ability to hold on that aiming target will dictate the string of shots . So if you aim target is to big , you will then have a tendency to float and thus produce a larger string .
Does that make since ????

[Linked Image]