Originally Posted by FlaRick
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I don't care WHAT CDC told they nurse, they are stupid and WHY does she need to hear from them what she obviously already knew?

It's no different than the World Trade Center. A plane fly into one tower and they announced in the other tower that everything is ok. [bleep] you, I'm out of there.

She KNEW something wasn't right, if she didn't she wouldn't have called CDC.

CDC and the nurse were BOTH wrong.

Agree but Doc R put all the blame on the nurse.

No, I didn't. I pointed out the nurse's culpability, which was substantial.

If it makes you feel better, I'll enumerate a bunch more of the players that were patently negligent in this particular instance. Start with Presbyterian Hospital, its ER docs/nurses, and its Infection Control people, when the index case presented to their ER, for multiple failures in treating him, isolating him, and then failing to adequately control & educate their staff on prevention of further infections. Continue with Dallas' public health department, and the state of Texas' public health authority. Blame the Federal govt for failing to adequately fund public health for the past 30 years (cuts to the CDC budget alone have been criminally negligent). Blame WHO, and UNICEF, and the International Red Cross for their failure to address the outbreak in west Africa adequately; but if we blame them, we have to blame the UN and the world of Nations at large for failing to provide adequate funding to these organizations, much in the same way we have to blame the US feds for our domestic public health underfunding. Blame the greed and avarice of the airlines and the travel industry in general for failing to adequately protect healthy passengers from infected persons travelling out of west Africa and out of Dallas.

There's lots of blame to go around. Those players are just the tip of the iceberg.

Just because I pointed out the stupid behavior of the nurse who flew back from Ohio doesn't mean I think she's the only person who is at fault here. But come on... does anyone here on the 24HCF actually think that if they call the CDC's public phone line they're going to get to talk to a doctor or scientist who really knows about Ebola? Of course you won't! You'll get to talk to a telephone operator who maybe has a high school diploma and a set of photocopied talking points.

Asking the CDC for personal health advice, as this nurse did, is like calling the North Pole and expecting to talk to Santa.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars