Always glad to hear from real experts.

I am pretty well known for shooting again, and fast, when there is any chance another round might be needed. But in this instance we could both see the blood around the entrance hole, right where I'd aimed the first bullet.

The bullet was a 160-grain North Fork, generally considered one of the best on the market, so bullet "failure" wasn't likely. The moose was obviously hard and correctly hit, and I didn't see any real reason to shoot him in the sticking place again, since in my experience he was about to tip over.

I don't believe the second bullet helped put him down any quicker, either, because he really didn't change his behavior after the impact. He continued with a slow step-and-pause before keeling over, and as noted previously that was 19 paces from where he'd been hit the first time. The entrance holes were about an inch apart, and the two bullets were found under the hide on the far side, almost as close together. During field-dressing we couldn't tell where the damage from one bullet ended and the next began, another reason I sincerely doubt the second hurried anything along. In fact, since the bull had stopped when I shot again, my guess is the second bullet is what got him to take a few more steps before falling.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck