Originally Posted by utah708
I have played with a bunch of cartridges over the years, trying to find a "perfect" all around cartridge for the range of typical applications that a western hunter faces (antelope to elk; longer ranges; often windy, etc.) Fads come and go, but I keep coming back to the 7 MM Rem as best suiting my needs. I can throw heavier bullets than the .270 Win, shoot flatter than a 30-06, and have less recoil than a 300 Win Mag.

Every time I read the cartridge profiles in the Nosler reloading book, the eloquent authors convince me that I need each and every one of them. When push comes to shove, more often than not I grab my Penrod/Legend long-throated 7 mag.

[Linked Image]

well thought thru and idea expressed ,well written!
I keep coming back to my 340 wby after trying many of the other popular and semi-popular cartridges,for similar reasons and have come to the conclusion that each of our individual experience's and the resulting trust and confidence in what the rifle we have used ,will do and OUR ability to consistently get results with it has a great deal to do with the choices we individually make

Last edited by 340mag; 10/22/14.