Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Billy,

Many ".300 magnum minimum" recommendations occur because a lot of guides aren't very sophisticated about cartridges, bullets or even shooting game.

I went on a moose hunt in Alberta a few years ago, and the outfitter recommended that clients bring a minimum of a .300 magnum. I knew this outfitter well from several other trips for waterfowl and deer, and he isn't particular sophisticated about rifles. He doesn't even handload, and when buying ammo generally doesn't get into any more detail than bullet weight.

I drove up so there was no reason to check my rifle on the camp range upon arrival, but when my guide (not the outfitter) and I headed out the first morning, he asked what cartridge my rifle was chambered for. "Seven millimeter," I said, betting the guy would think it was a 7mm Remington Magnum. (I'd also met this guide before, and knew he was about as rifle-sophisticated as the outfitter. In Alberta, as in Montana, when you say a rifle is a 7mm the average hunter assumes it's a 7mm Remington Magnum. In fact many people don't know there IS another 7mm cartridge.)

There's a good moose population in that part of Alberta, and after looking at several bulls we found a suitable specimen on the second day, the range about 220 yards. I put a bullet through both lungs, about a third of the way up the chest, and the moose just stood there, as they often do, but after a few seconds it started walking VERY slowly toward some nearby brush, then stopped. The guide asked me to shoot again so it wouldn't get into the brush. I did, and the moose took a few more steps and keeled over, 19 yards from where it was first shot. (I doubt the second shot made any difference, but shooting again made the guide feel better.)

After the moose was gutted and loaded on a flatbed trailer for the trip back to the lodge, the guide said, "It didn't look like that 7mm of yours kicks as much as most of them." I said, "That's because it's a 7mm Mauser." He just nodded, and we continued on down the highway.

Back at lodge the guide told the story of how my little 7mm stopped the moose before it got into the brush. The outfitter said, "That's exactly what happened when I shot my moose with my .300 Winchester!"

John,

i always though the only 7mm was the 7x64 brenneke ...

Phil