I've been reading over the back issues of American Handgunner available online and have become enamored with the early IPSC 1911's, particularly the Pachmayr Combat Special as used by Ross Seyfried and others.

I'm thinking of putting together a 1911 along the lines of the Combat Special and have a few questions: first, should I "build" at all when I can buy a Les Baer Boss .45 off the shelf? It has most of the features that the Combat Special had (hard chrome frame, blue slide flat topped and serrated, "buried Bomar" sights, extended thumb safety, etc.) as well as the usual Baer build quality.

Second question, if not Baer, how about a new production Colt Mark IV/Series 80 Gold Cup? It has the sights already installed, and I would likely send it to Clark Custom Guns to have the slide flat topped and serrated and the frame hard chromed; either them or Accurate Plating and Weaponry.

Next option: New production Colt Series 70. It would need everything the Gold Cup needs, but would require new sights.

What are the relative merits of a Colt-based build versus an off the shelf gun like the Baer Boss? I would not order one from Baer; I'm not waiting 18 months for this gun, I'd lose interest waiting that long.

Any thoughts on the Pachmayr Combat Special or the early IPSC 1911's in general? I freely admit that this build is based on aesthetics alone, and my desire for a certain "look" and feel, rather than any practicalities. I'm also on the hunt for early IPSC leather, particularly a Bianchi Chapman High Ride or a Milt Sparks Hackathorn Special and associated magazine carriers.

Last edited by Oregon45; 10/23/14.