Originally Posted by oldpistolsmith
Hi all,
Craig Wetstein here.
At Pachmayr and at my shop, The Auto Shop, I would build up weld with a TIG welder on the grip safety. Then would radius the frame on the mill and cut a matching radius into the built up beaver tail to be.
It would then be rough formed on the belt sander and then filed to shape and fit the frame.
I am not gunsmithing anymore. I closed my shop in 1986 because of the poor economy and having carpal tunnel in both hands.
I knew Roy Erwin and he came to stay with us for a couple of matches, Bianchi Cup or Steel Challenge or something.
After all my years being around firearms, I just discovered this year the joy of black powder shooting.
You are welcome to ask me any questions, but I cannot trust my memory to be fully helpful.
If I can't remember or don't know, I will tell you.

I've never had the privilege of owning any of your work but your talents are certainly appreciated by those with ability to recognize real artistry.

Were any of these guys working at Pachmayr while you were there: Tim Barrett, Mike LaRocca or Les Pitman? I know LaRocca had his own shop at one time, but what about the other two gentlemen?

I'm glad to hear you're doing well.

Last edited by 41magfan; 10/30/14.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member