To really do a "retro" 1911 right would take some work. If I were building a truly retro 1911, my first step would be to find a real Swenson safety, that will be the hardest part to find.

Next up, an MS Safari Arms beavertail grip safety. Or have someone build you a Jim Hoag style grip safety (I just built one of those last month, so cool).

The next difficult find would be a real Bo-Mar sight, because if you're going to go to the trouble, it might as well say Bo-Mar on it.

The gun should have a Bar-Sto barrel. Front sight should be staked and silver soldered, no dovetail up front. Most 1911 slides that were serrated were not flat, but some were.

Should be built on a Series 70 or earlier Colt, 70 series preferable.

Hammer should be bobbed Colt spur hammer, or a real Commander hammer.

Trigger should be the aluminum 3 hole King/Videcki style.

Late '70's guns all had 20 LPI checkering on the front strap. Many had a 1911 GI mainspring housing that was checkered 20 LPI and the checkering extended to the rear of the frame.

ABSOLUTELY no front strap under-cutting; that's not correct for the period.

ETA - Sorry hit post before I was done

Rear of the slide should be serrated 40lpi. Some were checkered, but most were serrated.

Trigger guard should be checkered 40lpi, and about 50% of the guns of that era had squared trigger guards.

Last edited by GunGeek; 10/24/14.