Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Jamesd1187
....... I have been craving a medium bore recently and have narrowed it down to .358 winchester, .338 Win mag, .35 Whelan or 9.3x62, the .444 marlin has been calling to me too, so what are your preferences and the reasons why?
For arguments sake lets say between .32 cal and .40 cal is medium bore and we'll toss in the lever action big bores as qualifying as mediums.

You might left out the best of the bunch smile

Reasons?

All those listed above are "lesser included" with a 375H&H or 375 Ruger(today). The 375 bore trumps in bore diameter, bullet cross section and expanded diameter. They seem to me to make bigger holes that leak a lot.

The H&H and Ruger cases drive the heavy bullets at high velocity. Trajectory wise the H&H and Ruger will drive a 250 gr bullet at 2900 fps,and over as flat a trajectory as a 338 will a 210,and stay so close to a 340 Weatherby it's hard to tell a difference. (A friend and I proved this to his dismay shooting both at 400 yards quite a few times.

The 375 was designed to take all the world's soft skinned BG animals.The rest were designed later as compromises in an attempt to approximate it based on constraints of lack of rifles, action lengths, Madison Ave marketing, and/or rifle/action types.

I figure a guy needs one good medium. I would take the Ruger or H&H 375's over anything else in that category.JMHO.

I agree; my medium is now an H&H. With a 260-gr AB or 250-gr TTSX, it's plenty flat to four hundred.