Favorite / ideal cartridges and rifles are definitely subjective.
My subjective 2 cent opinion, which could vary day to day,is:

325 WSM for a using lighter medium
338 Win Mag for a using medium medium
375 Ruger or H&H for a using larger medium
416 Ruger or Rem Mag for a just the hell of it heavy medium
And a 45/70 Lever gun, just because.

I have the aboves and my order of favorites are the 375 Ruger, 338 Win Mag, 416 Ruger, 325 WSM's. The 338 Win Mag with 225gr premium bullets would be the one I consider the mythical most all-around from whitetails to bear. Though personally with bear in the equation when moose hunting, I prefer the 375's with 270gr TSX. The 416 Ruger with 350gr loads could move to the top of the list, depending on the terrain/foliage. The 325 WSM, I really like this cartridge for a lghter rifle option with 200gr TSX. The new Swift reloading manual #2 has some great looking loads for 200 & 220gr A-Frames.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Jamesd1187
Ok if I am being honest with myself I probably don't need another rifle at all, my .30-06 probably covers any hoofed mammals I am likely to pursue in Canada and the bears don't really excite me or cause me to loose sleep. I have been craving a medium bore recently and have narrowed it down to .358 winchester, .338 Win mag, .35 Whelan or 9.3x62, the .444 marlin has been calling to me too, so what are your preferences and the reasons why?
I look forward to hearing from my fellow members stories, suggestions and you don't have to stick to my list let me know what your favorite medium bore is and why.
For arguments sake lets say between .32 cal and .40 cal is medium bore and we'll toss in the lever action big bores as qualifying as mediums.