Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Hondo and CT,

Are 100% spot on. The only thing barrel heat does is show you of there is stress in the system that needs to be fixed. Groups grow when you fire more than 3 rounds because 3 rounds aren't a "group". People use 3 rounds because they can lie to themselves. The rifles don't know whether it's the first round or the 15th. 10 rounds offer a good idea of where any one round will bland. There is no such thing as a "cold bore" shot. A sub 2 MOA 308Win Montana is about as good or better than what most will do.

Cut the bs, shoot ten and know what the rifle will do.

I shot 10 at 100y last weekend with my 84M and 162gr AMAX. Just recently got my hands on the AMAX so was anxious to see how they'd do. Had several tight 3-shot groups after load work.

Using a 6x42 Leupo, all 10 went 1.55". My zero is 100y, and POI were all were basically within the 2" diamond on the target.

Not too bad, but I think the results would have been better with a different target. I normally use an orange sticker... the red/white diamond doesn't work well for me but that's what I started with and kept shooting. First 3, cool, another 3, cool, then remaining 4.

I'll post a pic when I can.

J

Last edited by 4th_point; 11/15/14.