I feel you can use a pack designed for both efficient backpacking and the ability to carry hunting loads. That is what I do.

You can also go very minimalist and light, or very prepared and comfy. For me the correct way is to strike a good balance of efficiency , comfort and reliability. This balance will be different for everyone based on their preferences. The area where I am least willing to compromise is in sleep gear.

Regarding camp locations, I use higher ridges often , but prefer sheltered areas if available. For me, most of terrain I frequent doesn't have a lot of usable spots not near ridges or saddles.

Instead of hunting up, I prefer hunting down and being near several good glassing spots. A perfect spot for me is one that I know in an hour I can cover several spots where game might be.

One of the downsides mentioned to hunting down is carrying game up to camp. For me that isn't much of an issue, as I am almost always going up from somewhere , very seldom have i had all downhill or level pack outs. Pack outs are usually greeted with a few hundred feet of uphill somewhere.

One of the reasons I often do set up a base camp near the TH is for the reason of if I get something that easier to get to base camp than to my backcountry camp. In my areas I usually frequent, Elk are usually on the backside and the easier to access ridge lines, but sometimes they move into little holes and pockets that are often overlooked and trail less closer to the base camp.

All said and done, I go pretty light. I have a few pieces of gear, that for me , just work. Above and beyond that, my kit is pretty flexible.

There are a lot of ways to backpack hunt. As mentioned, I have some areas I am pretty familiar with and put in a lot of time scouting. My favorite hunts though, are the non scouted ones, in a new territory where I just put camp on my back and walk until I find game (likely solo). Those type of hunts in unfamiliar terrain, really make you take a look at things with an open mind. You just keep moving , until you reach your limit for a pack out or until you find something. I have had good success finding game this way, but often get bit in the rear , by something like a hidden rock chute I didn't know was there. Overall though, the rewards are high for hunts like that.

I'm not a big glasser, often I think boots on the ground is just as effective as glassing if not more. They both have a pace though. I'm not interested in glassing something I can't get to in a reasonable time frame.

Overall , while I think backpack hunting is an alpha sport requiring a culmination of skills much like adventure racing or mixed climbing, I think the most important part is setting reasonable expectations. Determine what your goal is. Is your goal game in the freezer, antlers on the wall, or just the experience ? Match your terrain, gear and style with your goals and capabilities and above all ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE AND HUNT. If you enjoy the hunt and experience then it is always a success regardless of if you are carrying out a pack full of game or not.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/