Originally Posted by Kevin_T
Originally Posted by smokepole
Personally, I like to hike into my spot, not carry it with me.......

LOL

Keep your spot warm as well, either type of spot. I've had new batteries in a spot that failed to send because of battery power. The were lithiums as well, changed right before trip and first time turned on. Overall though, it has usually been pretty reliable especially if you are in more open country

Speaking of which, I have a spot connect for sale $65.00 via paypal. PM me or I'll put in in classifieds soon

A few negative thoughts on spot in this thread. But for us its peace of mind for families. It isnt' big enough or weigh enough to matter for that. Especially when i'm in Alaska all by myself, and makes the wife happier and my older mom happier too. I prefer to have the wife along, and she prefers to be along, but what if something happens. It can make a difference.

RE changing batteries, I thought that was teh case with everything that takes batteries and always have a backup anyway.
Maps, compass along with GPS, 3 ways to start fire, multi use sleeping pad used as sitting pad too for glassing or waiting out areas etc...

pack wise... I"ve found you have to find what works for you. I've spent a lot, and been less happy than with spending less. That was an accident but the cheaper pack just fit and carried loads better for me. And was a bit lighter to start with.
Camo is not needed.

NEVER leave your pack. Ever. Mine is on my back unless I"m just up to go pee from a location or such... its my life and I carry trhat with me, rather than extra this or that in a few pockets.

On a bush plane flight in though I will have a fanny pack with extreme survival stuff in it, and that stays with me on the plane all the time, the only time I have something replicated.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....