Originally Posted by yukonphil
Paul,

thank you for your answer.

i had issue with the warne QD on my 375 ruger.
im using llc for now.

most of the time you are right for the open sights.

but this fall we got a loose rear base (lost a bit and the other one was really loose). and yes i used blue loctite.

now im using steel bases with steel rings.

lesson learnt take a spare kit of bases and rings with you with some bits and an extra scope ... but you still need open sights ...

all the best.

Phil

Phil,

I have used Warne QD rings on my .375 Ruger Hawkeye African, and found them to be a bit 'loose'- got much more open groups with them than I had gotten with the stock Ruger rings. Before going to Africa this August, I took the Warnes off, and reinstalled the Rugers- I figure that if a scope needs to be quickly taken off, a quarter in my pocket to loosen the big mount screws would work just fine. As I have posted elsewhere recently, I suspect the culprit is the small, loose halfmoon keys that fit in the slots of the integral mount of the M77 Hawkeye.
Anyway- i have two sets of Warne Maxima QD rings, Medium, very lightly used, that I will sell at a good price!
The Warnes are a great product, and probably work just fine with lesser-recoiling calibers in the Ruger line. They just weren't up to the task for me- 2" groups with the Warnes vs. sub-moa groups with the Ruger rings was a no-brainer decision, but such an accuracy difference might not be of importance to other shooters.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....