The 10mm round (not 40 S&W loads in a 10mm case) is just fine, it compares quite well with 41 magnum fired from 4" or shorter barrels. It beats 357 from barrels that short and is closer to 44 magnum than given credit for.

All of the published numbers you see for magnum revolver rounds are from 7.5" or 8" test barrels. When fired from shorter barrels they don't come close, and 8" barreled guns are almost never actually used. Expect 200-400 fps less speed than published numbers if you are using a 4" or shorter barrel

All of the published numbers you see from semi auto rounds come from either 4.5 or 5" test barrels, which is exactly what is used in the real world and pretty close to what you'll get.

I consider a 10mm a good outdoors SD weapon that gives true magnum revolver power in a smaller, lighter package with 2.5X more ammo capacity. It still wouldn't be my 1st choice if I wanted to hunt with a handgun, but used within it's range limitations is a viable option.

I'd still choose a revolver if I wanted a dedicated hunting handgun. A 6" or longer barrel will get you closer to published speeds than 4". That along with the longer sighting plane and generally better triggers means a more accurate gun.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.