Interesting replies.

I probably should have been more specific in what I was thinking. With absolutely NO disrespect intended to some posters but I don't see how anyone would call cartridges like e .30-30, .270, .30-06, 6.5-55mm, etc. underrated. They are so popular and I rarely, if ever, hear them poo-pooed.

Now, as true loonies (who actually shoot and hunt) know, just about any cartridge and modern bullet will work if someone knows how to shoot, but I wasn't referencing us nut jobs! smile Yes, we love to good naturedly argue about our favorites, hurl sexual pejoratives (I'm looking at you .270!), and split hairs but it's (usually) all in fun.

Perhaps a better title would've been the Rodney Dangerfield of cartridges. I've overheard, or talked directly with numerous people at the range, in the sporting goods store and, sadly, even behind the counter who will dis a cartridge--usually with no experience involving said carteidge.

When I mentioned the .243 it's kind of a paradox in that I've talked to people (or overheard) them saying it's 'adequate' for deer but not for elk and really 'overkill' for varmints. They also completely dismiss it out of hand for any LR work. More proof of ignorance. And, yet, this hunting season you could not find a .243 rifle in stock or a single box of factory ammo anywhere in town--that is NOT an exaggeration! So maybe the .243 isn't so 'underrated' (or disrespected, if you will) as I thought.

After reading these posts I probably have to agree with the guys who said 8x57 Mauser or the .358 Win, cuz' everyone knows those two are just too slow and antiqued aged! Right? smile

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...