Originally Posted by bglimpse
Quick question, I don't want to start a Kimber bashing post. The Montana rifle is perfect for what I want, I've been looking at them for a while. Without starting a flaming war, are there any calibers that are "known" to be more accurate or less problematic out of the box? I've read quite a few posts about 7mm-08 Kimbers having issues, taken with a grain of salt. I'm looking for something for deer, elk and possibly sheep. I've been looking for a .308, 30-06, 280AI or maybe a WSM. Any guidance would be great, thanks.

Of the animals and cartridges you mention, the best would be the .308Win.. Brad has a lot of bench time behind the Montana's and knows of which he speaks. He can save you a lot of time and money. He also has about as much knowledge here on tweaking a "problem child". There are others here that are no slouches either. I've had a trunk full of Montanas too with an occasional fling with a walnut version. Being much older than Brad, I too have left the short mags behind, taking 6 elk with the 300WSM and one with a 325WSM. Just can't tolerate the pounding although the new Talkeetna will be acceptable due to its niche application.

The 30-06 in a 84L is very nice but the 180's and 200's are pretty noticeable.
If you are a hand loader and a "tweaker" than you will most likely put in more bench time than a strictly factory ammo shooter. Bench and "field positions" with the light Montana forces you to develop consistent shooting skills. A cartridge that is already on your edge of recoil tolerance could force you into bad habits - something that a Montana can accelerate.

There is nothing on your list of potential animals that necessitate a magnum cartridge even though "need" has nothing to do with it. So get the lightest in the lineup and enjoy your .308Win..

After all the glitch and glam wears off, its the boring cartridges that deliver day after day.

Keep us posted and look up the lengthy Kimber fixes that have been posted here.
They will give you a big head start on any issues that may appear.
Good luck.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 11/28/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.