Safariman: My 2 cents worth on the M70 Target. I have a Swift Target model made in 1950. Bought it 2-3 years ago from a nationally known dealer in old 70s. I bought another target model from the same dealer in .270 Win.which, caliber-wise, is fairly rare. When I got the .270 I decided to have another very sharp old M70 man look it over for authenticity and he told me it was a parts guns, even though the common things like s.n. matching, etc was correct. I sent it back and got a re-fund.

I have a fair number of old 70s in both shooters and collectors and have looked at many more. And as you probably know, these rifles are probably one of the most messed with models of guns out there. There were many little variations with the target models alone: sight options, stainless and blued barrels, especially in some calibers, "T" marked triggers (not all target models have this mark") and the list goes on and on.

Were I spending money on an old 70 for investment purposes, I would not buy another target unless the deal was tremendous. As I've looked at prices of the common target calibers in the past 2-3 years, a number of other variations have appreciated much better, for example, .375s,.300 H&Hs.

I would say that you could find a .243 Varmint in comparable condition for a bit less money than a .243 Target and still have the same fun shooting it, if that's how you want to use it.

As I said, just my 2 $ worth. Good Luck.