Rocky, shooting stuff with low velocity bullets asks a lot of you, not the bullets or load. Truth is I got tired of collecting pics of dead pigs and quit taking them, but the count over the last few years is around 100. The number of times I passed on the shot? A lot more. I passed on those shots because I was not 100% certain of the outcome. That is my personal litmus for jerking the trigger in the CB Short v. Hog shooting match. 100%. I know their anatomy and the capability of the gun and loads I'm using. It is prerequisite in such endeavors.

From my read I gather that you have been buying commercial cast bullets for your shooting? Nothing wrong with that, but you have the option of juggling a few things if you cast your own. It isn't difficult and once you get the hang of it casting a significant amount of bullets is not time consuming. I'm going to post a couple of links where you can get some pointers on the art, then make a few comments for your consideration and let it go at that. Pretty much everything you need to know, and much more is available at these sites.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/
http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

If you wish to start pumping out bullets in large volume, look at the bottom pour melting pots and gang moulds. To a large degree you will get what you pay for. With some ingenuity you can do more with even the most basic of equipment.

If small scale casting is viable, a small melting pot and a ladle will do the trick. That is the path I'm on and in general terms I can produce 100-150 bullets in a couple of hours, depending if I'm using a single or double cavity mould.

Different mould material (iron/brass/aluminum) leads to different rhythms in the casting process. Iron holds heat better, aluminum is generally cheaper but cools more quickly. They all work, you just have to adapt to the material.

It is entirely possible to make cast bullets for about any application though there are a few caveats. Exceptionally hard cast bullets do not expand much, they can go very fast and they might shatter if they hit heavy bone. Subsonic loads can be put together without gas checks without exception. I shoot plain base bullets up to around 1600-1700 fps without leading. Bullet fit to throat and bore is of paramount importance. No guessing here...make it fit. Lee push thru sizers are a very convenient device. Liquid ALOX is neat stuff and pan lubing it the schizzle.

You can load cast bullet ammo at a cost that in many cases these days is cheaper than .22 RF ammo, and it is perfectly functional for hunting a wide variety of game. As example, my .25-20 loads are about 6 cents each at today's component costs. Accuracy runs about 1.5" at 50 yards for 10 shots with a tang sight.

With low load density such as I mentioned earlier for the .30-30, there is sometimes benefit to be found in use of dacron fill to keep the powder in position for consistent velocity (read: accuracy). Some powders are more position sensitive than others. Inquiry or experimentation will show you the right course of action with that. An example of a powder that is not position sensitive is Bullseye. One that is with low density loads is IMR 4227.

End of the day, it all boils down to putting a bullet in the right place and one does that by closing the distance sufficiently that there is 100% certainty that you and your rifle can put a bullet in the brain, or vertebrae in the neck, and that you can shoot from a position which assures that outcome. I rest against trees when doing this as I mostly still hunt. On the occasions that I park my butt I use cross sticks.

Patience is your friend. Pop'n flop.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain