Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Lonny,

No I don't think so. Heavy green timber broken up by clear cuts.
I have been hunting there on and off for 15 years and there are some really large bucks there. I got a big 250 lb 10 pointer a while ago, and my Nephew go a 250+ 10 pointer 3 years ago. The taxidermist told me he had one come in about three years ago that was as big and had a bigger rack. Based on the size of the tracks I have seen I would expect there to be some other really big bucks.

Lefty

I'd have to agree, there isn't better feed, but I think there is better cover where the big boys and girls can hide. The heavy timber in the area is generally such that you and I can't sneak through it without letting everything living there know we are coming.

We used to sit the clear cuts as teens, but we didn't see much. Combination of being teens -distracted easily- and not willing/mature/knowing enough to tackle the hard hunting just yet.

Depending on how far he ranged, he could get to grain fields (winter wheat is the most common) that border the start of the timbered areas, but I suspect he was further in the deep stuff.