Looking back on the last decade, or three of deer/big game hunting I have used (on game) a 270, 280, 7mm rem mag, 300 Win Mag, 308 winchester, 25-06 and a 30-06. (may have forgotten one, or two!)
Rifle "platforms" have all been bolt action, pre 64 model 70s, model 70 classics, one pushfeed model 70, one Sako A series, Remington 700s and one FN actioned Husqvarna.
Scopes have all been variables, all leupolds with one bushnell scopechief (2.5x8) many years ago, vari-x ll through vxlll, 2x7, 3x9, 3.5x10s. Only one scope issue, the bushnell! All duplex reticles except for one #4 reticle, which I was pretty indifferent about.
All but two rifles have had quality synthetic stocks (bansners, mcmillans, one brown, a few B&C Ti). The other two were factory issue wood stocks.
All variations on the same theme and no real reason to change. Favourite, if I was building or buying another one, would be another 270 (model 70 crf, preferably a pre 64 fwt) in a quality synthetic stock with another leupold variable!
Current rifle is a model 700 SS mtn rifle, in 270! Picture below is a pre 64 fwt in 280(off a classic fwt), Mcmillan Edge compact. That was a "pretty nice" rig, no longer here though as I didn't really care for the stock fit and was chasing perfection. Not really the smartest thing I ever did and I'd be happy to have it back!
[Linked Image]
[IMG]