The concept that some sort of mystical "balance" exists between various organisms in the Biosphere, is specious and one of the major problems in convincing the public of the value of projects such as this cull.

Wolves, bears, wild cats and other "apex predators" will kill prey whenever they are instinctively motivated to do so and some alterations in their habitat can/will/often does modify this behaviour. This, is the situation here and in other parts of BC, where extensive resource "development", mostly logging, has left roads that ease their winter travel....and, attract prey such as Caribou.

While, the mature Engelmann Spruce stands, with the associated "Cladonia" which form the base of the Caribou's winter diet have been greatly reduced in amount by BCFS determined "clear cut" logging, it is the roads in the VERY deep snow that pose the most serious aspect of the problem, along with the salted highway which lures some to death by motor vehicle collision.

This cull is a "last gasp" attempt to save some breeding stock from the increasing number of wolves that are extirpating them and, while I think that it is "too little, too late", I strongly support ANY programme that will halt the rapid decline in local ungulate populations....including much tighter restrictions on hunting, beginning with cutting "non-resident alien" hunting allocations.

Poaching, by "sportsmen" was a serious issue here and I saw this happen but BC has never had the COs in sufficient number, OR, with enough political authority to really prevent it.