Savage 99 is correct that the gun is scratched up and it is always going to be a heavy .270. As to the desirability, Savage 99 would not desire it, nor would most collectors. Even in great shape, it wouldn't interest many of the hard core collectors.

Are there lighter accurate rifles available? Absolutely, the Featherweights being only one example from back in the day, and now we have all manner of light rifles. But, if you want a piece of history, I would argue that the standard rifles in the common chamberings are the rifles that made the reputation of the Model 70. It certainly wasn't made with the expensive and relatively rare Super Grades, nice as they are. I don't think it was made with even the Featherweights. The thinner barrels are nice, but I cannot warm up to the aluminum components. (Admittedly, that's just me.) My point is that I believe the reputation of the Model 70 was made by standard grade .30-06's and .270's. These were the rifles Joe Lunchbucket owned, assuming he loved rifles and could scratch up enough dough to go with the Winchester. They were the ones that were more accurate than any other rifle in camp, and that fed and ejected like they should.

It makes sense the collectors want the rare configurations and chamberings. But I contend that if you want to own your own little piece of the legend, and one of the rifles that did the real work creating the legend, don't be ashamed to own a heavy (Savage 99 is right about that) standard rifle in a common chambering.

Having said all that, Winchester offering an affordable .375 did some of the heavy lifting too!

If that .270 were mine, I would clean up the stock a little bit. It might take some of the collector value off. But a little TLC, even with most of the character marks left, would improve the looks a good bit.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 02/13/15.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"