Mr. backtobethel: Just wanted to congratulate you on your purchase. I believe that you will fall in love with this rifle. For about 30 plus years now, I've hunted almost exclusively with various pre-64 model 70s. Most have been either re-barreled or re-stocked or both. However about 10 years ago I acquired a standard grade .270. It is definitely not a collector with shortened stock with pad, missing rear sight and front sight hood. However, the action is all original. I gave the stock a re-finish job. The old Leupold 2-7 sets in a Redfield jr. mount. I think total weight is just under 8 3/4 lbs. I did re-bed it. It has become my most used rifle and has accounted for almost all my coyotes as well as occasional whitetail. It shoots very well. All I use is 130 Nosler BTs. Personally, I think many folks make way too big of a deal over weight. There is no doubt in my mind that a heavier rifle "holds" better, both on the bench and in the field, at least for me. I've contemplated putting a set of Talley aluminum one piece mount and rings on it to lessen the weight just a tad. If I were to use it for mountain hunts I'd probably do that. So again, congrats. I would go slow to make major changes like another stock. Put a good quality small power variable or fixed power 4 or 6x, shoot it, and go from there. H4831 has become somewhat a standard for the .270 for good reason. I know that's pretty old school thinking, but it has worked very well for me.