Originally Posted by JMR40
Originally Posted by huntin_chic
Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Maybe I'm more of an oddball than I thought, but I always felt the .338 Federal was a smart little round that does a whole lot from a small package.

I don't get the recoil gripe that some maybe have. It's like a 22 - 23 pound kicker. That's a far cry from .338 Win Mag territory. But, I can see where most people don't need anything bigger than a mild 30 cal, or thereabouts.

The problem with 338 Fed is that the 30-06 shoots all the same bullet weights faster with about the same recoil, flatter trajectory and much more energy downrange. A 308 will shoot 200 gr bullets within 50 fps of a 338 with 200's and shoot 180's faster than the 338 will shoot 200's. At the muzzle the 338 shows a slight edge, but the 308 is faster, flatter shooting and with more energy with equal bullet weights past about 100-150 yards. The .003" greater bullet diameter is of no advantage on game and actually hurts the ballistics.

The 338 works, but I don't see it offering any advantage over 308, and it's a step down from 30-06. It is just a cool round for guys who want to be different from the crowd.

I agree. I have a 30-06 and several 308Win rifles. I also have a 338 Win mag. Just do not see the need. But it is a cool round, like the 358Win.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson