Originally Posted by huntin_chic
I noticed that the .338 Federal has been chambered in 6 Savage models for this year.... I wonder with the new offerings from Savage, if the round will make a come back?

Unlike some here, I really hope that it does come back stronger now. I had one in a Sako when it first came out and I never should have sold that rifle! It is the rifle I most regret selling.

It is an excellent, short-action cartridge that makes a whole lot of practical sense. Truly a useful round for people who want a .338 bore in a shorter package, without all the recoil of the Win Mag. As I recall, mine would chronograph right at 2,670 fps with 210 grain Nosler Partitions and that bullet would penetrate extremely well at that velocity - yet as all Partitions do, would mushroom beautifully.

As I recall, Dave Petzal called it something like, "A brief moment of sanity" in rifle cartridge development.

True, the .338 Federal doesn't really do much more (anything?) that a 30-06 with 200 grain Partitions at around 2,600 fps can't do... besides fit in a short action and maybe be a bit lighter in equal rifles. But it is nice to have something that not every Tom, Dick and Harry has in the gun cabinet. smile