I'm inclined to go with 414/760/2700 and shorter bullets in a 1/14 twist for high velocity explosive bullets. Meters well for a loading session with a progressive that gives me enough loads for a while in a single loading session. I might take very light big game as targets of opportunity but only at close ranges where the bullet carries most of the energy it started with so 60 grain round nose works.

In particular having learned from Bryan Litz (and reminded by John Barsness that bullet speed is no substitute for faster twist) that a barely stabilized bullet has an effective ballistic coefficient much lower than advertised I reserve the lovely little plastic tipped boat tailed 53 grain Hornady and Barnes bullets for the appropriate twists rather than kid myself when elevation and meteo conditions combined with pushing them to the limit show stability on paper. I now think they may be stable enough to shoot acceptable groups but I'm not getting the benefit of the advertised ballistic coefficient with these longer bullets so I've gained nothing but the ability to shoot more expensive bullets.

I figure the temperature sensitivity doesn't matter that much to me because I don't tote the rifle around in extreme heat anyway but use something else.

My own is a very heavy Hart barrel and very much a niche rifle - hold on hair to long eyeballed ranges but not a laser the range and dial it in with high ballistic coefficient bullets -that don't work in a 1/14 twist anyway - rifle.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 03/04/15.