Originally Posted by War_Eagle
We have bobcats too but don't expect I will ever pull the trigger on one with this rifle...mostly because I wouldn't want to tear the hide to pieces.

I have been thing about the 53gr Vmax or any of the NBTS but would love to know what would be suggested for the application.

Already have plenty of Reloder 15 and can get 4064 easily enough too.
I'd suggest a faster than 1/14 twist. I'd also suggest a .204 chambering.

At the risk of repeating myself the 53 gr. VMax is a lovely bullet and a bad choice for a 1/14 Swift. For 1/14 twist the sort of 50/52/53 grain bullets that were popular when the Swift was popular make a fine retro combination. I suppose the newer bullets will do fine in a faster twist but they don't in a 1/14 twist and there is little point in trying. Mine is a 26" Hart plenty accurate and speedy but speed doesn't make up for the slow twist - as I say retro. I even have a Quick Measure for log type powders and I see no reason save desperation to use 4064 in a cartridge I shoot more than a box a year maybe Garands excepted.

I'd feel comfortable using a well chosen bullet at Swift velocities to not exit a bobcat on most well chosen shots - at least I don't know anything better except a trap.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 03/07/15.