I've never understood how a person could be successful if they couldn't get off a decent - not talking a 0.6525" precise- shot within about 3 seconds. It is truly painful to watch a person have to 'get set up', then take 10-15 seconds or better to get everything pointed 'right,' while the quarry saunters out of view.

I well remember a time when 'meat' was spotted and rifles were flipped off the shoulder as the bull walked up through scattered trees. There was no time for 'exactifying' anything: boom, boom; bullets 'whapped', and the third guy was still standing there with his rifle across his back wondering what just happened.

Another fellow who was a rather annoying acquaintance….I helped him look for a nice caribou. We found a good-looking bull - along with three or four lesser animals. The distance was perhaps 200 yards, if that. He was shooting a borrowed 300 mag with a 3-9x on it. He was looking through the scope. I asked him if he could see the bull.

"I can't see it."

"There's a cow coming up first, then a smaller bull; the big one is right behind that one. Do you see him?"

"Yeah, I got him. I think I better hold over."

"No, hold right on him; the rifle is sighted 1" high at 100. It's good."

BOOM………..snow sprays over the back of the small bull.

"You held over didn't you?"

"Yeah, that's a long ways."

"Well, that was the smaller bull anyway. The big one is right behind him. Hold right…." BOOM

The small bull fell.

And this was a fellow who had repeatedly bragged about his old military rifle he was so good with and could hit grapefruit at 300 yards with irons……offhand….

Needless to say, I was not much surprised when he later Gerbered himself while attempting to skin the animal.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 03/06/15.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.