Dead on, Mark. Being able to "read" the animals (including other than caribou) is vital. I wish I was better at it, like some I know.

Thing is up here, after the first few days when the 'bou first cross the Sound in their southward migration, they go balls to the wall for miles at the mere sound of a snow machine.

That's because some locals run 'em down with their 100 mile per hour machines,so they can head-shoot them at a few feet, pretty much ruining the hunting for everyone else days after the initial crossings.. F&G euphemistically calls this "positioning" in the regs. There are ways to "position" without flat out chasing, but some don't seem to get it... and with real thin enforcement..... well!

That's why I try to knock down 3-5 the first time out on the first wave. Short but effective for the freezer.

As far as the time thing, I prefer quick. Adrenaline sucks! The first time I ever got buck fever was after a 2 year hiatus of hunting anything serious. I had several minutes to wait for the animal to get into shooting position. It was my 23rd caribou....

That busted leg slowed him down, enough....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.