One year while deer hunting in Colorado I struck up a friendship with a group of guys from NJ. They had pulled a camper into an area I was scouting out, and I'd stop and chat/have coffee with them.

They were there to hunt elk, and had not seen one yet. I wasnt even seeing elk sign in the area they were in,and with them being first timers I decided to help them out a little.

I marked an area on the map that they should try. I had been seeing a bachelor group of bulls there, including four 6 point bulls and all would have been outstanding for the area.

I told them what time to be there (the elk were using a ridge in the mornings to come/go to the river).I was curious if they'd take my advice so I went to the area the next morning, if the guys didnt show I was going to go to town and buy myself a tag. (season hadnt opened yet)

They showed up on time, the bulls were there right on schedule.They were an excited group of guys! They said they were going to move camp closer as they were set up in the other side of the unit, good idea I thought,thought nothing of it really...

Well days later I went to see how they did on opening morning, as I pull up i see they had set up their trailer between the ridge the elk were using and the river...I could not believe what I was seeing. Needless to say, they didnt get anything.

I put them on a spot that had a group of nice bulls that had a routine,had road access that everyone else was just blowing thru, and they set up camp on it! I still cant believe it.