I had not made one of these in ages. Dusted off my old recipe, and whipped one up today. Still an excellent cake, with the crusty sugar/pecan/pineapple topping, and the soft sponge cake.
I always make the cake in a Cast Iron skillet. Today, it was in a 100+ year old Griswald.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Preheat over to 350F
1/3 cup Butter
1/2 cup, packed Dark Brown Sugar
Tablespoon Bourbon
sliced pineapple
half cup chopped pecans
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
dash salt
2 Large Eggs
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup pineapple juice

Melt the butter in a 9 inch Cast Iron skillet. Add the Dark Brown Sugar, and mix well. Over low heat, bring to a bubbling boil, and continue to mix well.
Add the Bo urbon, and mix in. Set pan aside.
Place the pineapple slices into the pan, as many as will fit. Sprinkle the chopped Pecans all over the Pineapple and syrup.

Sift the flour, with the baking powder and salt, three times. Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, and beat on medium speed until they thicken.
Gradually add the sugar, beating until the mixture is thick and frothy.
In thirds, add the dry ingredients into the beaten egg. Fold in with a spatula or spoon, do not use the the mixer. Alternate adding the dry ingredients with the Pineapple juice. Beginning and ending with the dry mixture.

Spoon the batter over the Pineapple slices. Gently smooth the batter. Place the skillet into the over, and bake for 25 minutes. Check for doneness. When finished, remove from the oven, and rest on a cake rack for 10 minutes. Place a plate over the skillet, and invert. The cake will drop out.

Best eaten when still warm. smile

Sam......